Saturday, January 22, 2011

Every Day Grilled Duck

When Amy first contacted me about participating in her Iron Chef Challenge and I saw that the first theme ingredient was duck…well, I was skeptical…I’ve never cooked or even tried duck! I have always associated duck with expensive Christmas dinners…covered in some rich orange sauce. So, when I accepted the challenge, I decided to try looking for a way to cook duck that wasn’t just for  special occasions and so rich. My biggest challenge turned out to be finding the duck! I was looking for Maple Leaf Brand as they are the sponsor for her challenge. We have two grocery stores in our little town and neither one carries it. I finally made it to a Kroger which is about 45 minutes away and found duck packaged in a way that was just perfect for every day cooking! SDC14749

It’s a frozen breast fillet with just a thin layer of fat left on. In my reading about duck, I learned that they are very fatty and that is what makes them so rich. Packaged this way, I didn’t have all the fat to worry about and all I had to do was thaw   and cook! So, while it was thawing out  in the refrigerator over night, I let it marinate in Weber’s White Wine and Herb marinade. It’s so easy to mix, just 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of water! It has been my go-to marinade for other meats, and it didn’t let me down with the duck!SDC14753 

This evening, I used my George Foreman grilling machine to simply grill the marinated duck breast and it turned out fantastic! Moist and flavorful, with most of the fat running away from the meat and  out of the grill. It only  took about 25 minutes to cook and the clean up was a breeze! SDC14755

I served it with Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice and steamed broccoli for a fast and easy every day meal that tastes like it came from an upscale restaurant!

SDC14768

MMMMMMMM…..SDC14767

My girls don’t like to try new things, especially when it comes to different meats, but my boys and hubby and I really enjoyed it! Thank you Amy for the challenge, and the opportunity to try something new!

You can check out all the duck recipes at Amy’s Duck Linky Party by clicking the button below!

 

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Yea, you found duck! So glad you could participate and that your boys and husband liked it. I love using my George Forman grill as it does make for easy clean up and on these below freezing winter days who wants to stand outside and grill. Thanks so much for linking up and participating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, dangit - - I just typed up a comment for you and I wasn't signed in and I lost it!!

    Ok -- I'll try again!!

    I found your site through Betty Crocker Wannabe!

    My grandpa, dad, uncles, brothers, exhusband, my now uncle-in-law and my nephews are/were all duck hunters. One of my favorite duck recipes is also very easy!!

    Duck Breast Meat - cut into 1" - 1 1/2" cubes
    1 bottle creamy italian salad dressing
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    bacon

    Marinate meat overnight in mixture of salad dressing and vinegar. The next day, remove meat from marinate and place on skewers, wrapping every other piece in a half slice of bacon. Cook on grill, turning often, until bacon is cooked (not crispy cooked). Don't place the meat over direct flame, as the flame will flare up as the bacon grease drips off.

    I don't remember how long to cook it (it's been at least 10 years) - maybe 20 mins over a medium heat.... Just watch it and don't over cook it as it will become dry.

    It's really yummy - - and good with goose, too.

    I hope you give it a try and enjoy it! Please let me know!!

    Oh - - I'm your newest follower!!

    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    Hugs ~~ Suz
    inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your comments, they keep me inspired! Feel free to drop by anytime!